FORGOTTEN AMERICA: ROUTE 66 FROM THE QUIET TOWNS OF THE TEXAS PANHANDLE TO TUCUMCARI

 



Environment often dictates behavior and for that reason, most anywhere else I would have passed by a Buc-ee’s with little more consideration than I would have passed by any random rest area. But since its opening in Clute in 1982 and its expansion throughout and outside of Texas, Buc-ee’s has brewed such local fervor that I had to stop at its Amarillo location before departing the city.

It is, to be sure, unlike any rest stop I’ve seen before. Tacky, perhaps, but not without value. Roughly the size of a smaller K-Mart, Buc-ee’s offers its own merch (hats, shirts, plush toys of its mascot, the titular beaver etc.) as well as a wide array of snacks, baked goods and take-out options. I stocked up for the road, mostly with bottled drinks and cleaning supplies, and can win the approval of any Texan I tell I’ve been to a Buc-ee’s.

                                                                Buc-ee's of Amarillo

My final stop in Amarillo, if anything, cemented my experience as deeply Texan even further. I found my way to the Big Texan Steak Ranch, home of the (in)famous eating challenge: a 72oz steak dinner accompanied with a salad plate, dinner rolls and fried shrimp consumed in whole results in a free meal. Eating challenges aren’t my thing anywhere and I definitely wasn’t going to risk making myself sick on the road. Besides, I had something more aligned with the purpose of this journey planned for later on that day. So, rather than make myself a spectacle for rallying diners as I’ve seen a number of influencers do on YouTube, I limited my visit to the steakhouse noting that comparison of its neon cowboy to the 2nd Amendment Cowboy statue further up Amarillo and learning the history of Big Tex-Rex, the playful dinosaur depicted in a colorful structure near the parking area.

                                                               Big Texan Steak Ranch

                                                                        Big Tex-Rex

                                                        The 2nd Amendment Cowboy                                        

Vega is a charming little city. On a Saturday morning, with most of its businesses and offices closed, it looked rather like a movie set depicting an archetypical Texan small town. Sadly, this meant that Mama Jo’s Pies and Sweets, which was supposed to be the highlight of my visit, would also be closed and its acclaimed bakery not to be discovered by me. Nonetheless, I’m glad I made the stop at Vega. A serene air runs through this sleepy little town, sweeping away the toils and weariness of the road. A lovely little plaza in the center provides shade as well as placards telling the history of the town.


                                                    The charming little town of Vega, Texas



Magnolia Station, once a fill station for the drivers of the Mother Road

Adrian, Texas would be where I would sit to dine. Here is the midpoint of Route 66, with its starting point in Chicago and its end in Los Angeles both 1,139 miles away and here is also the aptly named Midpoint Café. Opened in 1928 when the Mother Road was still in its youth, the Café continues to capture the spirit of America’s highway. Americana lines the walls and tables and the waitresses love to chat it up with you. As the midpoint of the road that meant so much to a nation’s movement and continues to live on in the collective national psyche, the Midpoint Café encapsulates the essence of everything we, as a people, love about Route 66, real or imagined, whether we lived through it or not. If I were to sum up the feel, taste, sights and even the warmth of Route 66, I would nominate the Midpoint Café as its heart.




Neighboring the Midpoint Café is another Route 66 landmark, the long-closed Bent Door Café. Although its been closed since the early 1970s, an eccentric architectural decision by Bob Harris when it was built in 1947 ensured the Bent Door Café (originally called Tommy’s Café), would not be erased from memory. Incorporating features of the air traffic control tower that once stood in its footprint but decommissioned after the war, the door of the café was built with a slant across bend across its middle to match the tower’s slanted windows.

                                                                  The iconic Bent Door

                                                                       Bent Door Cafe

                               The Phillips gas pumps in front of the cafe that once served travelers.

Of course, the midpoint is marked on the route, encouraging photos and this was my last act before leaving Texas (sort of, as I’ll explain) making my way into New Mexico.



Once I arrived in New Mexico my first stop was a visitor center and then, in a sense, I returned to Texas. For the little ghost town of Glenrio lies across the border of both states and legal battles have been fought since its founding in 1903 as to which state it truly belongs. Now, with a population of zero and only decaying structures and a few rusted vehicles, Glenrion belongs  both to no one and everybody at the same time.

                                                        So little remains of Glenrio

Built as a railroad siding for the Rock Island Railroad, Glenrio built up throughout the mid-century, adding a Texaco gas station, a motel, post office, the Brownlee Diner/Little Juarez Café as well as an iconic sign marking either “First Motel in Texas” or “Last Motel in Texas” depending on the direction of the driver. Always a small unincorporated town, however, Glenrio was hit especially hard by the bypassing of the town and after the State Line Café and Gas Station and the Texas Longhorn Motel both closed in 1976 the town practically disappeared, its ruins the only remnant of its existence.




The road from Glenrio to San Jon, New Mexico is a long stretch of desert, taking you over a number of rickety bridges over dried up brooks. By any stretch, San Jon is a very small town but, after emerging from the abandoned town of Glenrio, San Jon, with a population nearing 200, felt like a return to civilization. To me, the biggest relief was arriving at a Valero gas station. The gas meter on the Jeep was running at just beneath half-full as I was driving the desolate roads out of Glenrio and, I must confess, my paranoia was getting to me only because I did not know how long the road went for. I was never happier to see gas pumps.

And so, as twilight fell on the trails, I made my way to Tucumcari, my first stop in New Mexico. And that is a story for next time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SALVATORE MARANZANO: THE KILLING AND ERASING OF A MOB BOSS

LILINTHGOW, DUNKELD AND THE HERMITAGE

EDINBURGH