FORGOTTEN AMERICA: ROUTE 66, FROM HOLBROOK TO FLAGSTAFF
Tried
as I did, I could not get lodging at the Wigwam Motel. However, I resolved to
do the next best thing and visited the icon before departing from Holbrook.
Opening in 1950, Holbrook’s motel became the sixth Wigwam Village to open when
Chester E. Lewis entered a licensing agreement with Frank A. Redford for his
original 1936 design consisting of a row of motel cabins shaped like teepees
(incorrectly labeled wigwams).
In
Lewis’s rendition (the first one west of the Mississippi), fifteen teepees are
arranged in a square They offer all the standard motel amenities, including the
original furniture. Classic American cars from the golden age of road travel
line the parking lot in keeping with the spirit that brought the Wigwam Village
to Arizona. Today, the sixth is one of three surviving Wigwam Villages along
with the second in Cave City, Kentucky and the last one built in San
Bernardino, California.
On my
way out of Holbrook I spotted the new cowboy statue erected in 2023 to
commemorate the 50th anniversary of the annual Hashknife Pony
Express relay between Holbrook and Scottsdale. A beautiful memorial capturing
the wild spirit of the legendary western mail-carriers, the statue is also an
emblem of the fearless sense of adventure and duty that built the west.
By
early noon I made it to Joseph City, home of another Route 66 milestone.
Opening a year prior to Holbrook’s Wigwam Motel, the Jack Rabbit Trading Post
encapsulates everything we have come to love about Route 66, its quirkiness,
its inventiveness, its blend with the landscape and, finally, the hospitality
and vision of the people who call it home.
In much
the same fashion as the South of the Border rest stop along I-95, Jack Rabbit
Trading post is announced by billboards and other marking for miles before a
greeting sign tells visitors, “Here It Is”.
In true
Route 66 style, the Jack Rabbit Trading Post is a family story. In the early
post-war years as the American love for road trips was awakening, Jim Taylor
converted an old herpetarium belonging to the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe
Railway into the Jack Rabbit Trading post, a shop in the desert where motorists
could buy supplies and Route 66 memorabilia. The jack-rabbit, a familiar sight
to the thousands who traversed the Mother Road, was a logical choice for a
mascot. For good measure, Taylor placed a giant statue of the animal outside
the store to attract families and picture-seekers.
For nearly twenty years Taylor gave the Trading Post its character, advertising it through billboards reaching as far away as California. In 1967 it was purchased by Glenn and Hattie Belle Blansett who did much to keep it alive as I-40 began bypassing the once-thriving route. Indeed, under the Blansetts the popular tourist stop grew and garnered more attention. Two years later, their son Phil and his wife Pat bought the store who in turn sold it to their daughter Cindy and her husband Tony Jaquez in 1995 who have managed the store since.
Today, the Jack Rabbit Trading Post operates much as it did in its early days, selling souvenirs and drinks. An entire room functions as a mini-museum and is dedicated to memorabilia, old photographs and a guestbook.
I was
now on my way to Winslow, the city made famous by the Eagles. Winslow returned
the favor by erecting a statue of Glenn Frey and, well, standin’ it in a
corner. Winslow is a charming city with a great restaurant scene and delightful
murals. I regret not having a chance to explore more of it, but I had two more
landmarks to hit before my day was over.
By
afternoon I made it to the Barringer Crater, the best preserved meteor impact
zones in the planet. A viewing of this 3,900 feet long, 560 feet deep remnant
of a 150 feet wide asteroid that hit the earth some 50,000 years ago is costly,
but worthwhile. The desert air has done wonders in preserving the impact zone,
making for a unique larger-than-life experience. Spotting two prairie dogs scurrying away from the Jeep as I made my way out was a bonus.
As
evening approached, I made my way to Flagstaff to visit the first of the giants
that would tower over American roadways in the glory days of the highway.
Today, Louie the Lumberjack, as the first muffler man came to be called stands
with his axe in front of Northern Arizona University’s Walkup Skydome, having
become the campus mascot in the 1970s when the university acquired the
fiberglass titan from his original home, the Lumberjack Café, where he had
stood since 1963.
A
lumberjack muffler man was a reminder that the landscape around me was
changing. The desert was giving way to taller and denser vegetation. This was a
lead-up to one of the most breath-taking sites that awaited me a few days away.








Comments
Post a Comment